Finalists of the 2018 Young Builder of the Year Awards announced
Youthbuild UK are delighted to announce that the following have been selected as finalists of the 2018 Young Builder of the Year Awards: –
14 to 18 year old age category
Grant Ballantine Kibble, Paisley
Jake Bradshaw Centar Surfacing, High Wycombe
Alfie Bristow St Ed’s, Norwich
Sterling Couture Kibble, Paisley
Jack Ford Barratt David Wilson, Southampton
Callum Pallant Essex Youthbuild, Chelmsford
Joshua Smith Bradford College/Archway, Bradford
Andrew Sykes Walter Thompson, Northallerton
18 to 24 year old age group
Warise Anyanwu Think Big Developments, Nottingham
Kevin Barber Skanska, Billericay
Joe D’Abreu BAM, London
James Daley Construction Training South West/Classic Builders, Plymouth
Pedro Dias Skanska, London
Anthony Gabriel Berkeley Group, Southall
Alan Gardiner Volker Wessells, Hoddledon, Hertfordshire
Jake Kreps BAM, Ely, Cambridgeshire
Jennifer Prosser Redrow, Liverpool
Iesha Smith L&Q, London
Ryan Spolton A14 Integrated Delivery Team/Hercules Site Services, Cambridge
Zinnia Young Centrepoint/NEAS, Sunderland
We will inform you of the outcome of the Judging as soon as we are able to.
The 20 finalists will be invited to the Awards Ceremony to be held at the House of Commons on Wednesday, 17th October, when the WINNER will be announced.
Who will succeed Arben as the Young Builder of the Year?
The Young Builder of the Year Awards celebrate the achievements of young people who despite having to overcome personal barriers have succeeded in training for and or gaining employment in the construction industry.
The competition which began in 2000 is open to young builders from across the UK and is now entering its 19th year.
If you are shortlisted as one of the twenty finalists you will be invited to the Awards Ceremony, which will be held at the House of Commons on Wednesday 17th October 2018.
The categories from which we are seeking applications from young builders are: –
• In employment and/or training aged between 18 and 24 years old.
• Still in education or training (including apprentices) aged between 14 and 18 years old.
For 2018, there is a prize fund of £7,500 and all shortlisted finalists will receive a certificate and tools vouchers.
Subject to the judge’s discretion the winner of the 18 – 24 years old category may receive up to £1,500 (including tools), with further awards to the runners up.
The winner of the 14 to 18 years old category will receive up to £750 (including tools) and their educational establishment will receive tools worth up to £500.
We are looking for young builders who: –
• Have made outstanding achievements both professionally and personally, overcoming barriers to get to where they are now
• Would not have been able to access employment in the construction industry without the support of your organisation/project
Young Builders entering the awards should be able to demonstrate that they have: –
• Attended regularly and punctually
• Undertaken accredited training in a relevant construction subject
• Undertaken additional training e.g. first aid, driving lessons, numeracy and literacy etc
• Secured a job, or has a genuine offer of a job in the construction industry – we may require some evidence from a prospective employer (this may not apply to all the 14 to 18 years old category applicants)
We also require: –
• Some background information about the young builder / trainee
• Their experiences as a young builder / trainee
• Teachers / employers / training managers / mentors statement about the achievements of the young builder
Application will open on Friday 1st June, when details of how to apply will be announced, and close on Tuesday 31st July.
Judging will take place in August and all applicants will be notified of the outcome in early September.
The 2017 finalists pictured at the House of Commons