The 2015 Finalists
2015 YOUNG BUILDER OF THE YEAR AWARDS – WINNERS ANNOUNCED
14 to 16 Year old category
- Brett Morrison – Construction Design Centre, Sheffield
Runner Up –
- Tom Mills – Plume School, Maldon, Essex
- Cameron Edwards – Plume School, Malden, Essex
16 to 24 year old category
- Ryan Cook – Lovell, Hull
Runners Up –
- Nathan Buckley – English Construction, Shrewsbury
- Rebecca Russell – Durkan, London
Highly Commended –
- Khaled Ahmed – The Hub Construction Skills Centre, Barnardo’s, London
- Rebecca Lee – St Ed’s Construction Training Centre, Norwich
- Jac Wearing-Evans – Cyfle Building Skills, South West Wales
- Owain Wearing-Evans – Cyfle Building Skills, South West Wales
- Shaun Cowell – Central College, Nottingham
- Courtney Henry-Sang – East Thames Housing, London
- Leyland Jones – St Ed’s Construction Training Centre, Norwich
- Jaimee-Leigh Lister – Hull Training, Hull
- Robbie McConnell – Barnardo’s Works, Paisley
- Keeley McIntyre – Incommunities, Leeds
- Matthew Stanford – Hull Training, Hull
- Jason Tuitt – Notting Hill Housing, Construction Training Initiative, London
Alan Johnson MP, with finalists and their supporters – all from Hull!
Khaled Ahmed with his parents
Shaun Cowell with his family and supporters
Guests at the Awards
Nick Clayton of CDC, Sheffield, receives a special award for organisations that support young people to train for the construction industry.
Finalists receiving their Awards
Congratulations to all of you!
John Attley, NHBC, Sharon Mungovan of Skanska and Neil Carroll of Toolstation
Many thanks to our sponsors NHBS, Skanska, Toolstation, Places for People and B&CE Charitable Trust, without whose valuable support we would not be able to hold the Young Builder of the Year Awards.
David Shaw of Places for People and Nicola Sinclair of B&CE
The 2015 Judges with Youthbuild UK President Baroness Smith of Basildon
Our guest speaker, Sadi Khan, told the audience about the struggles she had to overcome before setting up her business.
The finalists ended the day with a trip on the London Eye
Ryan Cook, the 2015 Young Builder of the Year, with Christine Eccles of Together Housing and Sharon Jarvis of Lovell
About the 2015 Young Builder of the Year Awards
The 16th Young Builder of the Year Awards celebrate the achievements of young people, who despite having to overcome a range of barriers have succeeded in training for and or gaining employment in the construction industry
There are two categories: –
- 14 to 16 year olds still in education
- 16 to 24 year olds in employment or training
Judging will take place in August and the finalists will be chosen.
The finalists will be invited to the Awards Ceremony at the House of Commons on Thursday 15th October 2015, when the winners will be announced.
For 2015 there is a prize fund of £7,500 and all shortlisted finalists will receive an award.
- The overall winner will receive up to £1,500 (including tools)
- The runner up will receive up to £750 (including tools)
- The winner of the 14 to 16 year old category will receive up to £750 (including tools) and their educational establishment will receive tools worth up to £500.
All finalists end the day with a trip on the London Eye.